Saturday, March 26, 2016

Prayer, Fasting, and Almsgiving

We've been talking about prayer, fasting, and almsgiving this week. Here's what we're up to:

Our table centerpiece
We made a similar centerpiece a few years ago, and so I thought we'd do it again this year. I pulled out stuff that could represent prayer, fasting, and almsgiving like this cardboard icon on a popsicle stick and a candle (prayer), mixed dried beans (fasting), coins (almsgiving). I also included a flower pot with sand, and a little vase - and I just talked about the three things we do during Lent and let the kids put the centerpiece together however they like. They added the purple flowers for a little beauty and joy. I ask them every few days, "What three things does this remind us to do?"



We have plans for the kids lenten prayer and fasting, so I decided to make a plan for almsgiving, as well. I gave them each a piece of paper divided into 6 sections for the 6 remaining weeks of Lent (we didn't get organized for clean week). Then I asked them to think of at least one act of kindness they could do each week for different people. They spent some time thinking and drawing in their plans. When they were finished, we talked about giving in secret, and folded the papers in half to keep their plans private. They've been excited about their secret plans, and keep checking to see what their supposed to be doing this week.




I drew this little diagram to teach them about the three legged-stool of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving, and then later scanned it and made a fancy little gif. :)

No comments: