Monday, May 2, 2016

"Rejoice always."

I used to have the prayer, "Lord of all pots and pans and things," in my kitchen window, but last week after re-reading an old post from Glory to God for All Things, I replaced my dish-washing meditation with this verse:

"Rejoice always. Pray without ceasing. In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." - I Thess 5:16-18
Fr. Stephen explains, "The underlying message of modern pietism in its various forms (including Orthodox) is that there is nothing wrong with us that the right choices and right rewards will not fix. All that is needed is right information. But this is not the teaching of the Christian faith." And later: "St. Paul doesn’t endorse slavery, but he recognizes that many will have no choice. If you have a choice, 'Use it!' he says. But for many who will have no choice, he suggests something else: 'Do not be concerned about it.'"

So we begin again!

No comments: