I used the same cherubim graphic from my bookmarks to make a pop-up card. I was thinking of it for the Church New Year, but I always love blank or all occasion cards so I kept the text to a minimum. I also included a blank card, so you can add your own text or another verse for a different occasion. The download and some instructions are below.
The only text is a passage from the gospel reading for September 1st. Here is the reading:
So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written: "The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed; To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD.” Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all who were in the synagogue were fixed on Him. And He began to say to them, “Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.” So all bore witness to Him, and marveled at the gracious words which proceeded out of His mouth. And they said, “Is this not Joseph’s son?” Luke 4:16-22
A few directions:
1. Print (don't scale to fit). It works best on cardstock. I made a version printed on regular paper, then mounted the pop up piece onto cardstock, this worked okay, but had more wrinkles. So I definitely recommend cardstock. Cutting with an xacto knife is neater than scissors as well.
2. Cut the paper in half along the dark gray line. Use an xacto knife to cut the two dark vertical lines. The card should fold on the lighter gray lines. Fold the skinny strip first, before folding the entire card.
3. Mount the white card on construction paper. Contstruction paper is usually a little large than typing paper, so if you cut a sheet of construction paper in half, it should be a little bigger than your card, just perfect for centering the white card on the colored paper. Be sure not to get any glue on the skinny pop up strip. Let dry flat before trying to crease the construction paper.
4. Cut out one cherubim. Put a dab of glue on the skinny pop up string and attach the cherubim. The bottom edge of the cherubim cut out should align with the bottom fold of the pop up strip.
5. Practicing opening and closing it, creasing your folds neatly.
And here's a great post about the Church New Year:
This is history’s true purpose, the one that God has set in motion, that He sent His Son to do all of those things, to bring to us the way of salvation. And this is why time matters, why it matters that we have times and seasons for prayer and for feasts and fasts, so that we may redeem the time and participate in “the acceptable year of the Lord.”