I had a really wonderful time dyeing red eggs this year. Mine didn't turn out well last year, so, to be sure I had enough, I had been saving yellow onion skins pretty much since last year! I used the instructions here. She gives so many good tips, and it turned out perfectly.
I made a lot this year to take to the skete and to our mission feast, and since I was afraid the onion skins wouldn't work, I also bought the Anatoli Greek red dye from AFP. I ended up making a batch of each, which was a fun comparison.
|our chicken's eggs of many sizes and colors!|
|the red dye from the yellow onion skins|
|leftover onion skins and the Anatoli dye|
The Anatoli dye made a deep true red, while the yellow onion skins made a deep brownish red. Both were very nice, and neither bled onto my hands much at all (even after being kept in the fridge). I don't think he onion skins bled at all, and the Anatoli dye only did after several days, and even then not very much. I polished all with olive oil, and they were so lovely.